AWARENESS ON USE OF POLYMER BUR IN DEEP CARIES MANAGEMENT AMONG GENERAL DENTAL PRACTITIONERS - A SURVEY
Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences (SIMATS), Chennai – 600 077, Tamil Nadu, India.
Email ID: email@example.com
Dr. Adimulapu Hima Sandeep,
Associate Professor, Department of Conservative dentistry and Endodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai-600077, Tamil Nadu,India, Mail id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Danisca – Contributed to conception, design, data acquisition and interpretation, drafted and critically revised the manuscript.
Dr. Adimulapu Hima Sandeep – Contributed to conception, design, and critically revised the manuscript.
All authors gave final approval and agreed to be accountable for all aspects of the work.
Conflict of interest:
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
The authors would like to thank the management of Saveetha dental college,Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai for giving a platform to carry out this project.
Funding Support :
The present project is funded by Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical sciences,Saveetha University and Sun Cable Vision, Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu.
Polymer bur is a quite important rotary instrument which is made up of poly ether-ketone-ketone, and it is mostly used to remove decayed dentine without damaging the healthy tooth structure. This mechanism is based on the hardness level of the instrument being lower than the hardness level of the healthy dentin.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:
This is a cross sectional study conducted among general dental practitioners through a questionnaire. The questionnaire consists of 15 questions and was circulated among dental practitioners with the help of an online survey link. After getting the results , the data was analysed using a software known as spss and then graphs were generated according to the results.
According to the results obtained, 90% of the participants were aware that polymer bur comes under the category of rotary instruments as the remaining 10% were unaware about this. 83% of the participants agreed to the statement polymer bur is capable of conserving dentin that can be further remineralised whereas the remaining 17% disagree with the statement. P value is 0.64 which is statistically not significant.
In a study done by Gaddam Divya et al stated that more amount of bacterial remnants were present after excavation with polymer bur
From the data collected we can say that dental practitioners are aware about the importance of using a polymer bur in the clinic. But using polymer burs in general practice is quite hard due to some of its disadvantages such as , one time use, hard to sterilize and it is also considered to be expensive.
Key words: Caries;Dentin safe burs;Ecofriendly; Polymer bur,Pulpal cavity.